The Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Administrators recognize the need for physical strength and good health in order to build strength, confidence, and to fight addiction and win. Our Fit for Recovery Program works with fitness centers in the community to make fitness and nutrition counseling and health counseling available to individuals working through addiction. Fitness centers partnering with the JAH Legacy Fund agree to provide a wide range of services including individual consultation, group classes, and equipment instruction. 24 hour access to fitness centers is supported.
Eligibility: Individuals between the ages of 18 and 30 who are American citizens, engaged in recovery and are active in a recovery program are eligible to receive a fitness grant under the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fit for Recovery Program.
Privacy: Applicant information will be treated with the utmost confidentiality. Applications are kept in hardcopy form and will be destroyed after granting of the award with the exception of name, address, amount of award, and name of fitness center, which will be kept for tax purposes.
How to Apply: Those wishing to apply for the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fit for Recovery Program grant must apply by mail with the following information:
- Indicate their desire to apply for the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fit for Recovery Program grant.
- Provide their name, age, sex, phone number, e-mail and mailing address
- Specify whether they rent, live with family or own their own home
- Provide one paragraph describing their substance abuse history to include the substance and all rehabilitation efforts. Current participation in a recovery program is required.
- Indicate whether history includes legal issues related to substance abuse.
- Provide the name, address, website and point of contact information for the fitness center where fitness and health activities are desired. Indicate whether there are transportation restrictions which must be considered in the selection of the fitness center. The JAH Legacy Fund will consider the chosen center but reserves the right to substitute a fitness center of their choice which is also accessible to the applicant.
- The Applicant will estimate how many hours per week they intend to use the health and fitness services.
- The Applicant will acknowledge that as the Grantor, the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund Administrators will retain the right to receive attendance information from the fitness center. This information is only for the purpose of assessing the usefulness of the program in general and will not impact the terms of any current grant.
- In rare instances it may be necessary to verify parts of the application with family, teachers, employers, rehabilitation counselors or sponsors, etc
Completed applications are mailed to:
The JA Hekimian Legacy Leadership Program
P.O. Box 1292
Germantown, MD 20875-1292
What to Expect: Administrators from the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fund may need to contact the applicant by phone or e-mail in order to clarify application information. Applicants will be notified of acceptance status within 4 weeks of receipt of the complete application materials. For successful application, the JAH Legacy Fund Administrators will prepay a fitness center for a 3 month period. The JAH Legacy Fund will contact the successful Applicants with instructions on how to register with the fitness center and to acquire their access cards.
Refer Someone: Individuals or organizations can refer potential applicants to the Joseph Albert Hekimian Legacy Fit for Recovery Program simply by providing them with a copy of this page or forwarding them the link.